The purpose of Massachusetts Mathematics Association of Teacher Educators (MassMATE) is to provide a forum for mathematics teacher educators to communicate with each other and collaborate with other groups interested in the teaching of mathematics in the state of Massachusetts. Mathematics teacher educators include but are not limited to faculty at institutions of higher education engaged in teaching mathematics or mathematics education, professional development providers, districts’ mathematics specialists, mathematics teacher educators and consultants at the elementary, secondary, community college, and college and university levels.
The Massachusetts Mathematics Association of Teacher Educators (MassMATE) is a non-profit organization promoting the improvement of mathematics teacher education at all levels. Specifically, the goals are to:
- identify and support leadership among mathematics teacher educators;
- serve as a forum for ideas and resources in mathematics teacher education;
- encourage scientific research related to mathematics teacher education;
- promote quality undergraduate and graduate programs in mathematics education;
- encourage and support professional development programs for in-service teachers;
- encourage and support professional development programs for postsecondary faculty involved in mathematics education;
- facilitate communication and collaboration among professionals involved in mathematics education and mathematics teacher education at all levels;
- facilitate communication and collaboration among members of educational administrative units, such as departments of mathematics and departments of education;
- coordinate activities and work collaboratively with other associations and organizations concerned with the preparation and professional development of mathematics teachers;
- work cooperatively with the federal and state agencies to enhance the mathematical, pedagogical, and clinical preparation of teachers of mathematics at all levels with respect to criteria for credentialing and licensing teachers in Massachusetts.